Do you struggle with dry, flaky skin? You're not alone - for many men, this issue is a daily occurrence, especially coming into the colder months of Autumn and Winter. But don't worry, there are plenty of ways you can manage and prevent dry skin, and in this blog, we'll discuss some of them, as well as what the main causes of dry skin are for guys.
What causes dry skin in men?
One of the main causes is simply the weather - cold, dry air strips the skin of its natural oils, leaving it parched, dehydrated and sometimes flaky. Guys who work outside, or that spend a long time in air-conditioned environments, are more often prone to experience dry skin.
Most guys don’t often think about it, but hot showers, harsh soaps and some cleansers can disrupt the skin's pH balance and remove the lipids that help to protect the skin's surface, leaving it feeling tight, itchy and dry.
There are also certain medical conditions that can cause dry skin, including eczema, psoriasis, and thyroid disorders, as they affect the skin's ability to produce oils or retain its moisture, leading to dryness, itching, and flaking. If you have a persistent skin problem, it's a good idea to talk to your doctor or a dermatologist to get an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.
How can you manage or prevent dry skin?
Fortunately, there are plenty of things you can do to keep your skin hydrated and healthy. Here are a few tips:
- Moisturise regularly. This is perhaps the most important step in preventing dry skin. Guys need a moisturiser that is specifically formulated for our skin, as it is naturally thicker and oiler than women’s skin. Tony & Munro's Shine Control Moisturiser is a great option - it's lightweight, lasts all day long, and hydrates the skin without leaving a greasy finish.
- Use a gentle cleanser. It’s important to use a gentle, non-drying cleanser. Look for a product that is pH-balanced (around 7) and free of unnatural fragrances and any other potential irritants.
- Avoid hot showers. Hot water can be very drying to the skin, so try to stick to lukewarm water instead. Also, limit your showers to no more than 10-15 minutes, to avoid washing away excessive amounts of the skin's lipids layer.
- Humidify your home. If you live in a dry climate or spend a lot of time in air-conditioned environments, consider using a humidifier to add moisture to the air at home, allowing your skin to recover its natural moisture.
- Drink plenty of water. Hydration starts from within, so make sure you're drinking enough water throughout the day. Most scientific studies we found online suggest men should be drinking between 2.7 and 3.7 litres of water a day. So yeah, you’re probably not hydrating enough … we definitely weren’t.
Why choose Tony & Munro's SHINE CONTROL MOISTURISER?
If you're looking for a quality men’s moisturiser specifically designed for combating dry skin, Tony & Munro's Shine Control Moisturiser is a great option. Some of the benefits it offers include:
- Hydration: This moisturiser is formulated with hyaluronic acid, which helps skin to stay hydrated and plumped up from within.
- Shine control: This formula also contains microspheres that help to absorb excess oil, leaving the skin with a matte finish.
- Botanicals: Argan oil, Aloe extract, Calendula flower extract, Camellia (white tea) leaf extract and Chondrus Crispus (red algae) extract, provides skin with natural vitamins, antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Lightweight and non-greasy: Unlike some heavier moisturisers, Tony & Munro's Moisturiser is lightweight and non-greasy, making it ideal for daily use.
If you’re interested in learning more about Tony & Munro’s Shine Control Moisturiser, or want to get one of these great moisturisers for yourself, you can visit their website here.