Do you ever wake up in the morning and see dark circles under your eyes that make you look like you've just pulled an all-nighter? Even when you've had a full night's sleep? It's not just you - many men experience this issue every single day. But what causes us to experience these dark circles, and what can we do about them?
First of all, let's talk about what can cause dark circles. There are a few factors at play here:
- Genetics: Unfortunately, some people are just more prone to dark circles than others due to their genes. With dark circles being more prevalent in men of South Asian or African descent.
- Age: As we get older, the skin under our eyes becomes thinner and loses elasticity, which can make the blood vessels more visible.
- Lifestyle factors: Lack of sleep, stress, and poor diet can all contribute to dark circles.
Now that we know the cause of dark circles, what can we do about them? Here are some tips:
- Get enough sleep: This one might seem obvious, but it's worth emphasising. Switch off the Netflix, and get to bed! Getting between 7-8 hours of sleep per night can help reduce the appearance of dark circles, not to mention a heap of other health benefits that come with hitting the hay.
- Manage stress: Yeah, we know … this one is much easier said than done. But finding ways to manage your stress levels can help reduce dark circles, and improve your overall well being. Whether it’s meditation or yoga, or simply stopping to take a few deep breaths throughout your day.
- Eat a healthy diet: A diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains can help keep your skin healthy and reduce the appearance of dark circles. Foods high in Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Iron and Omega-3 are especially beneficial for the skin.
- Reduce your screen time: DO IT!! Spending hours in front of your computer, tablets or phone can cause eye strain and fatigue, making the blood vessels around the eyes more visible and making dark circles far more prevalent. (Side note: the blue light emitted by screens can suppress melatonin production, making it way harder for your body to get to sleep and get a good night's rest … meaning more dark circles.)
- Use a Men's Eye Gel: Yes, a MEN’s Eye Gel, not a woman’s one. Men’s skin is 25% thicker than women’s, and men’s eye gels, such as Tony & Munro's Revive Hydrating Eye Gel For Men, are specifically designed to help reduce the appearance of dark circles, puffiness and fine lines that plague men’s eyes. It's packed with ingredients like Niacinamide, Chondrus Crispus Extract (seaweed essential minerals, amino acids, peptides and vitamins), and hyaluronic acid that work together to hydrate and soothe the skin under your eyes.
Using a men's eye gel like the Revive Hydrating Eye Gel For Men is a great addition to your skincare routine, but it's also important to remember that it's not a miracle cure. While it will help reduce the signs of tiredness and the appearance of dark circles and fine lines, getting enough sleep, managing your stress, and making sure you are eating a healthy diet are still crucial factors in reducing the appearance of dark circles, and being your best self in general!
We hope that explains to you why men get dark circles, and what you can do to get rid of them. With a little effort, change in your habits and the right skincare products, you can wake up looking refreshed and ready to take on your day. If you’d like more information on Tony & Munro’s Eye Gel For Men, check out the full product breakdown on our website.